How to charge using Type 2 connector – Nissan Leaf.
A short step-by-step guide on how to charge a Nissan Leaf using a Type 2 (Mennekes or IEC 62196) charging connector.
1. Open the SAE J1772 charge port cover – orange coloured lid
2. Type 2 connector does not fit any Nissan Leaf charge port
3. Use an approved adaptor (fitting)
4. Example shown is an eMotorWerks Type 2 to type 1 approved fitting
5. It is specifically designed to work with an eMotorWerks wall charge with a tethered Type 2 cable
6. Fitting is the socket, cable connector is the plug
7. Join the approved fitting and Type 2 cable connector together
8. Ensure the two parts are securely connected
9. Insert J1772 connector into the charge port
10. Leaf will charge as normal
11. This fitting is specifically designed to allow the charge port lid to be lowered as is usual when charging
Source: eMotorWerks JuiceJ Type 2 to Type 1 (T2 to T1) fitting approved for use with JuiceBox 40 and JuiceBox 32. It allows a T1 car such as a Nissan LEAF to charge off a JuiceBox’s tethered Type 2 cable. This is a fitting as defined under the electrical regulations, as its not a cable adaptor. However most people would commonly refer to the JuiceJ as a T2 to T1 socket adaptor (as part of the Electric Vehicle not the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).
More about these videos
Thank you for watching this how to video. Want to enjoy more videos like this? Make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel. Our channel aims to publish new videos every week. We produce all our own content, including the fun Electric Vehicle Counting Report and the Timelapse Commute. Like, subscribe, comment and share our videos to help accelerate our transition towards sustainable transportation.